Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hello Dr. Das! - said Miss Patient

I reached my office very early today at the dawn of coming holidays. Empty environs already swayed an eerie silence in the department. I took slow steps while my computer choose even slower moves to download a long list of updates and handed me a waiting time. I obeyed him and remained un-clamored in the silence while my phone made the first disturbance. I got a call from an unidentified number with an area code 617-. The rest of the numbers mostly falls in ascending order. I said ‘Hello’ in a curious and low tone.

She asked ‘is this Dr. Das’s office?’. Her voice was as strong and clear as an late 20 American woman who probably works in a secretary job somewhere, as my immediate guess was. That feeling made me serious as a call to ‘Dr. Das’ seemed official. I raised my voice to attain a matured tone and replied ‘yes it is’. She felt relaxed finding me at last as she took couple of seconds to say anything further ‘am I talking to his secretary?’

Then I first sensed the event of an unusual wrong-number-call, but my own name being in it initiated with my newly achieved crown of ‘Dr.’ made me adventurous. All of a sudden, the dull morning stirred up whispering and  my computer started to finish his job swiftly. As like, every aspect of the room is preparing to salute the stranger who just knocked at my door. I did not let the stranger realize my state of curiosity and kept on ‘No! this is Das himself.’ I could distinctly make out without a clue that my polite voice suddenly made her awfully embarrassed. She eventually controlled her voice and said in a fragile tone, ‘I am so sorry, I did not know that I have your personal number.’

The cloud of my curiosity started slowly breaking away as my skill of comprehension was finally able to make a path through it.  I took a huge pride of her embarrassment and my 'Dr.' position but remained silent by saying ‘ohh! that’s ok!’, and I continued, ‘by the way, where are you calling from?’. I meant to ask her which office or departments she is calling from and wanted to imply why she is calling. While she said ‘home’ to me, I said to myself ‘ufff!’. My curiosity suddenly turned into an unexpected confusion. But, she remained kind to enlightened me ‘Ohh I calling because I have an appointment today with you to do my surgery’. I could not understand how to react; I only recalled that she called me ‘Dr. Das.’

Both my curiosity and confusion disappeared within a second and I started laughing-out-loud (lol) :) :D. I apologized to her saying that ‘I am a doctorate not a doctor’ and hung up wishing her good health. I did not even inquire how she got my number.

4 comments:

Addie said...

haha! very funny indeed, Dr. Das... i wanted to do a tummy reduction surgery. are you free?

the other day, this grad student wanted my recommendation for a provincial scholarship.. it was quite embarrassing... thankfully I convinced him out of it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
susmita said...

So, this proves you are not a 'real' doctor buddy, no matter how hard you try, you will never be, sigh !

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.