Sunday, January 17, 2010

Flying in America

Presently, both the national and international air-travelers are terribly annoyed by the tight and tedious American immigration security system. We complain that "the boorish security guards were a poor advertisement for the greatest country on earth" - The Economists.

Rather, I believe, we, the civilian, should allow the time and accept the bothersome to go through the security search voluntarily and help the authority to single out the evils correctly. My point is, to an unknown, I am not different from a terrorist (or whatever you call), before I can prove that I am not. And, it is one's duty to prove himself righteous, not others to identify him.

We can not complain both about the hole in the security system and the system's effort to cover it. The humanity traditionally lacked perfection, but always blessed to have tryings.

I have seen my adviser who spends nearly one/tenth of his year in 'up in the air' is neither afraid of flying nor complain a bit about the checking process. While I who stay less than one/three-sixty-five days in flight, is more concerned.

What is not good is the delayed visa approval process which ends up terminating many necessary travels plans (both scientific and others) and dreams of worthy individuals.

6 comments:

Chhaya Awasthi said...

I agree with you fully in your second and third paragraphs. Say more about your last paragraph.

Tanmoy Das said...

Chhaya, I could expand on the last paragraph, but I could only summarize the facts, have nothing new to add. My main point was is only the second para though.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abha Malpani said...

I remain very much concerned too, but I liked what you said. :)

Meg said...

So you're saying that a person is guilty (or a terrorist) unless proven otherwise. I thought the opposite is true, i.e. everybody's innocent unless proven otherwise.

Tanmoy Das said...

Hi Meg,

You point is valid and that's a way of seeing it. But my point is that a terrorist won't come forward to reveal his evil intentions. So the alternative is that we, the normal people better prove our innocence and help isolate the terrorists or similar criminals for or own benefits.